American University of Sharjah (AUS) was founded in 1997 by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qassimi, Member of the Supreme Council of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Sharjah, who envisioned the university as a leading educational institution in the Gulf region. American University of Sharjah is an independent, not-for-profit coeducational institution. Although consciously based on upon American institutions of higher education, AUS is also expected to be thoroughly grounded in Arab culture and to be part of a larger process of the revitalization of intellectual life in the Middle East. AUS is emerging as a leading comprehensive coeducational university in the Gulf, serving students from the region and around the world.
American University of Sharjah is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, 215 662 5606). AUS is also licensed by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, and all undergraduate and graduate programs are recognized by the ministry and have been awarded either accreditation or accreditation-eligible status. All six of the bachelor degree programs in the AUS College of Engineering are accredited by ABET of the United States.
AUS offers 26 majors and 42 minors at the undergraduate level, and 13 master's degrees programs through the following academic divisions:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Engineering
- School of Architecture and Design
- School of Business and Management
While Arabic is the official language of the United Arab Emirates, the language of instruction at AUS is English. All classes and administrative functions are conducted in English.
Faculty positions for College of Arts and Sciences
- Department Head for the Department of Arabic and Translation Studies
- Department Head for the Department of Writing Studies
- Department Head for the Department of English
- Department Head for the Department of Mass Communication
- Faculty Position in the Department of English
- Faculty Position in the Department of Arabic and Translation Studies
Faculty Positions for College of Engineering
The American University of Sharjah (AUS) is a non-profit, coeducational institution of higher education formed on the American model. Student applicants are considered on the basis of their qualifications regardless of race, color, gender, religion, disabilities, age or national origin. The medium of instruction is English. The curricula of the programs are based on the American model of liberal education and include a strong general education requirement. AUS is licensed in the United Arab Emirates. It is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. All College of Engineering programs are accredited by ABET. Currently, the College of Engineering has over 2000 students and 70 full-time faculty members. Please visit www.aus.edu for more information.
Full time faculty appointments are required in the following disciplines and areas of specialization. Strong preference is given to candidates with degrees (BS, MS, PhD) from a western-style university that is ABET (or equivalent) accredited. Teaching experience in an American model of higher education and work experience in North American industry are highly desirable. One-year visiting faculty appointments at all academic ranks are also welcome.
Chemical Engineering: The department is seeking applicants for Visiting Professor in all areas with preference for biomedical engineering, catalysts or bio-fuels.
Please send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Civil Engineering: All areas of the discipline including: construction management, structures, transportation, geotechnical, water resources and environmental engineering.
Please send applications to: email@example.com
Electrical Engineering: The department is seeking applicants at the Assistant Professor rank in the following areas: Electromagnetic and Microelectronics.
Please send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mechanical Engineering: The department is seeking applicants at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank in the fields of renewable energy in general and fuel-cells specifically, thermofluids, materials, dynamics, design, MEMS, NEMS and bio-fuels.
Please send applications to: email@example.com
For permanent appointments, initial contracts are normally for three years and are renewable. Rank will be determined by previous employment history. Faculty at AUS receive competitive pay and an attractive benefits package. There is no income tax in the United Arab Emirates.Interviews will be held at various sites. Positions are open until filled with preference to early applicants. Faculty who are appointed must be in Sharjah by January 20, 2010 for spring appointments and September 17, 2010 for Fall appointments.
For more information: www.aus.edu
Faculty Positions for the School of Business & Management
Last Updated September 27, 2009
Job Ad for the Department of Economics
AF All Fields
Q5 - Natural Resource Economics
E5 - Monetary Economics
P - Islamic Economics and Finance
P5 - Comparative Economic Systems
K00 - Law and Economics
Pending budgetary approval, the Department of Economics invites applications at all ranks for openings in continuing positions. Fields are open, with preference for those listed. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Economics, publications commensurate with rank, and experience in teaching in English. For retention, faculty must publish in reputable, peer-reviewed, English-language journals. Starting date is September 2010.
Located outside Sharjah City near Dubai, AUS is an American model university with independent U.S. accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Compensation is competitive and free of UAE taxes. Departmental representatives will conduct interviews at the January 3-5, 2010 ASSA Annual Meeting in Atlanta. All applications received by December 1, 2009 are assured full consideration. Applications should include a curriculum vita, addresses (including e-mail) for a minimum of three references, and a letter of application. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Send applications by e-mail to Dean, School of Business and Management at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coordinate and support educational assessment efforts at the course and program levels.
- Work with faculty to identify and develop strategies for assessing goals and outcomes.
- Develop/implement assessment activities.
- Conduct workshops for faculty and administrators.
- Promote the importance of assessment in evaluation and improvement.
- Advanced degree in curriculum, assessment, educational leadership or other appropriate academic field; a doctorate is preferred.
- Experience in planning and implementing assessment programs
- Knowledge of accreditation requirements for assessment
- Experience working in a diverse multicultural environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty from a variety of disciplines.
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter to Ms. Maria Malik (email@example.com).
All material should be submitted in a single PDF file labeled: Assessment_Coordinator_ApplicantsSurname.pdf
Chemistry Laboratory Specialist (CLS)
The CLS will carry out a variety of laboratory related activities. These include preparing experimental set-ups, calibration and maintenance of equipment, performance of analytical and other measurements requested by the department, preparation of materials for classroom demonstrations, inventory maintenance, safe storage and disposal of chemicals. The CLS also assists in departmental tasks as assigned by the laboratory supervisor and the department head. Preference will be given to applicants with skills in the use of advanced instrumentation such as GC-MS, ICP, FTIR, IC and NMR.
The successful candidate will have a B.S. degree in chemistry, good communications skills in English, and at least three years of experience in a similar position.
To apply, please send the CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Chemistry Laboratory Instructor (CLI)
The CLI will carry out a variety of laboratory related activities. These include supervision of laboratory sessions which could involve the use of advanced analytical equipment such as NMR, HPLC, GC-MS, IC and ICP, giving pre-laboratory presentations, and grading reports and quizzes. The CLI also assists in departmental tasks as assigned by the laboratory supervisor and the department chair
The successful candidate will have a M.S. degree in chemistry, good communications skills in English, and at least three years of experience in a similar position.
To apply, please send the CV to email@example.com
Senior Network Engineer
This individual will interact closely with American University of Sharjah's community educational initiatives for connectivity to regional institutions. Capable of monitoring and analyzing network activity, providing maximum network bandwidth, quality of service, and security in a highly active environment. Provide technical design consulting, and capacity planning, to the departments (organizations) regarding use of computers and networks to satisfy business and research needs. Lead and/or guide other IT staff in providing tier three support, problem resolution tracking, and training for staff. The Network Architect is expected to develop and maintain documentation of systems, operational procedures and infrastructure topology, while participating in Information Technology related policies and procedures. This individual must have excellent interpersonal skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Design and maintain Cisco Powered Campus Networks
- Work with IT Director, Academic and Administrative leaders to utilize campus infrastructure to its fullest
- Provide technical leadership and guidance for other Network Engineers
- Research software and hardware solutions to resolve University needs
- Monitor and analyze network activity
- Build and maintain documentation of devices, operational procedures and infrastructure topology
- Assist in defining IT related policies and procedures
- Assist in any other duties as required by the IT Director
- Cisco Certification (CCNP or above) with minimum of 3 years of experience in large networks (> 10,000 nodes)
- Significant knowledge and Experience with management and design of large scale enterprise or campus networks
- Knowledge and experience in Network Security
- In-depth understanding of IP Protocols, network convergence, and service delivery to multi-platform environment
- Strong troubleshooting capabilities
- Proven track record of mentoring junior network engineers towards advancement
- Demonstrated experience with Cisco switches and routers
- Experience working for, or with, large network service providers
- Expertise in BGP, OSPF, Multicast, and multi-layer routing
- Expertise in QoS architectures and implementation
- Significant experience in Wireless management and security
- Knowledge of IPv6
- Expertise in network preparation and management in support of IP Telephony
- Experience with CiscoWorks / IOS
Disabilities Coordinator/Academic Advisor:
The Disabilities Coordinator/Academic Advisor assists AUS students with physical and learning disabilities in making an effective and efficient transition to the American University of Sharjah. The advisor works closely with fellow advisors, faculty, and campus support services to ensure that student needs are met. The Disabilities Coordinator will coordinate and report on all infrastructures, programs, policies and procedures related to disabilities across the university.
• Work directly with disabled students to aid their transition to AUS
• Coordinate and report on all infrastructure, programs, policies and procedures related to disabilities
• Advise students individually and in groups on academic matters including course selection, study skills, time management, and decision-making, etc.
• Refer students to the appropriate AUS office, faculty, and support services as needed
• Advise students during orientation sessions
• Provide support to students through their transition to AUS
• Work with faculty to improve student success in academic matters
• Initiate meetings with students on probation to discuss their progress
• Work closely with fellow advisors in developing a retention plan for students
• Contribute to the development of academic advising through involvement in the Academic Advising Committee and in-service training activities
• Collect data on student needs and on the effectiveness of the disabilities program
• Perform related duties as required
• Master’s Degree or higher in Counseling, Learning Disabilities, or a closely related field
• Experience in working with students with disabilities
• Ability to learn AUS requirements, policies, and procedures
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Excellent interpersonal, speaking, and writing skills
• Knowledge of computers
• Ability to work as a team player
• Fluency in both English and Arabic is an asset
AP Accountant – Grants, Contracts and Endowments
- Liaise with the Office of Research on all contracts and Grants related information and ensure finance records are well-run. Also work closely and liaise with the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs and the Scholarship Office to ensure endowment funds records are up to date.
- Process banner system invoices/payments related to grants & contract reimbursements.
- Ensure right approvals and correct accounts are used when processing payments.
- Prepare monthly faculty consulting payments to be paid through the monthly payroll.
- Ensure university policies related to outside consulting contracts are adhered to at all times.
- Correspond with faculty if AUS invoices are required to be sent to 2nd party clients.
- Regularly follow- up that contract client invoice payments are received and correct charge codes are used in A/R records.
- Generate reports to reconcile budget status for each grant/contract.
- prepare an annual report in May detailing the number and AED amount of grants and consulting contracts, by school/college, for the preceding 12 months and detailing the amount of Indirect Cost (IDC) Recovery funds, opening balance plus additions, and expenditures from the dean’s office account.
- Process JV for the distribution of the yearly IDC percentage allocation to various AUS recipient organization.
- Maintain proper and complete records for all endowment funds. Provide estimates for the pay-out amount from each endowment funds using the pay-out rate approved by AUS. Prepare annual, and upon request, reports on endowment fund movements.
- The above is in addition to the regular accounts payable responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting , Finance or a related field
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and working knowledge of computers and accounting software.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, in order to deal with stakeholders (internal and external) at all levels.
- Proven ability to communicate in written and spoken English
- Strong organization and time management skills to ensure meeting scheduled deadlines.
- Deals effectively with various stakeholders, exercising high standards of customer service.
- Organizes workload, sets priorities and work is performed accurately within deadlines.
- Maintains confidentiality of financial and personal information.
Dormitory Supervisor (Male)
Serves the assigned Dormitory and ensures welfare and safety of residing students and protection of University assets. In addition, provides counseling & guidance to dorm residents, receives visitors, attends to reception office at the dormitories, and ensures implementation of rules, regulations and disciplinary code in the conduct of students in the Dormitory. Maintains relevant files & records.
Qualifications and Skills:
The successful candidate shall have a four-year degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience in the field. Computer literate, proficient in MS Office Systems, fluency in English is a must & Arabic is an asset. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
- Drive AUS community on campus and off campus as per operational requirements.
- Meet, Greet & Provide appropriate transport facility.
- Regular check battery fluid, break oil, breaks, coolant, engine oil, tire pressure etc...
- Provides clean and efficient service and to take care of AUS vehicles.
- The incumbent must have a UAE Driving License for light vehicle and heavy bus.
- Not less than 4 years Experience in UAE as a Bus Driver.
- Knowledge of using safety & security procedures is an advantage.
- High school diploma
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in English
- Excellent customer service skills
If interested, applicants should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position applied for should be mentioned in the email subject line.
Note: For Temporary Part-time positions the candidates must already be in possession of a residence visa for the UAE; Candidates who are employed in the UAE must provide the university with a 'letter of no objection' from their current employer, which have the appropriate governmental approvals. Employment Visas are not provided to temporary staff.
Short-listed candidates only will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS Alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions
This company is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the U.S. Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resource Services
P.O. Box 26666, Sharjah U.A.E., Fax: 06-5152139
short-listed candidates Only will be contacted within 6 weeks of their application