Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yusuf Islam and Me – Part 1

Morning has broken, like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for the springing fresh from the word
Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
Like the first dewfall, on the first grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where his feet pass
Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the one light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day

There are songs that stuck in our mind. One of those songs, “Morning Has Broken’ had a deep impact on me from the first time I heard it years ago, when I was a young innocent kampong boy. I did not know the singer then but I liked the melody except I did not really understand the lyrics.

The song is me...I am a morning person, always.

I was always the first one to reach the mosque for subuh prayer when my father was away. The first pupil to reach school even the sun was yet to rise.

Those morning walks along the dark and empty Jalan kampong Lang few kms to the mosque, and through the thick bush to school was somehow a way to conquer fear of darkness and unknown or surprises….during that period of time, the haunting myth of penyabit kepala man was kampung’s main past-time gossips…not that I was not scared.

I just took my chances and the penyabit never appeared to ambush and chop my head away. (Years later…I dared to take my chances by walking alone in the dark alleys of notorious places such as LA, Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Melbourne, Frankfurt, New Orleans, Honolulu, London, Dublin, Glasgow etc and few times...encountered those things you see on Hollywood films)

I had never dreamed to meet and work together with the world renowned singer of “Morning Has Broken” as well as the face of moderate Muslim. Never! Even though during my TV3 years, I had ample opportunities to meet or to know some well-known artistes. No, thank you.

Then again, the most cherished moment was to be on the same stage with M.Nasir in one of the TV3’s 'entertainment' programmes. That was the first time I appeared on TV along with well-known and glamour personalities to recite my poem (well, I had to write a last minute one when my boss. Datuk Khalid Ahmad, then TV3’s MD took my prepared and rehearsed one….)

My encounter with Yusuf Islam was something out of ordinary. It was rezeki. Even not a dream came true as I never really dreamed about it. It just one of those things that people say – “God works in mysterious ways”


Yusuf was in London, I was in Dubai and we met out of love for Islam.


To be continued...

1 comment:

Roti Kacang Merah said...

salam bro.fudzail.

aiseh... terbantut excitement... tak sabar ni nak tahu selanjutnya!

dulu jumpa dia di Edinburgh. he was in a wee bookshop, signing off autographs.

i was such in awe of him... terasa terlalu kerdil nak bertentang mata minta autograph. sanggup perhati dari balik tiang, hanya 5 kaki dari beliau.

akhirnya, menyesal tak sudah sampai sekarang...