Thursday, February 12, 2009

How bad is customer service in Dubai?

Generally, the customer service here in this gulf region is BAD. Been here about a decade and not much improvements over the years in certain sectors. Read Gulf offers 'bad' customer service - 56% poll.
Recently, I had a major 'battle' with a satellite TV operator for double charging me after installing a new and an additional smart decoder at home. During scheduling the appointment, the customer service agent insisted that I must pay cash for the installation. I agreed and paid the technician cash with some tips.

Few days later, I was slapped with the same charge in my credit card bill.
I was furious and called the customer service to rectify the error. The agent promised to call me the next day to update the status.
She never did and I had been calling everyday about the same issue and had to repeat my case all over again up to ten days later. It was frustrating episode when this TV satellite operator monthly rate is not cheap and the only reason I have been the subscriber is because of the English Premier League live telecasts for my kids.
I had enough of incessant poor customer service as well as "I will call u tomorrow" broken promises. Yesterday, I emailed to the supervisor as well as local newspapers with nasty contents.

Minutes later, the boss called to apologize and just received his note:-

Dear Mr. Fudzail,

Thank you for contacting SXXXXXX Feedback. Further to your conversation with our supervisorXXXXXX earlier yesterday with regards to your billing history, the purpose of this is to convey to you my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the unusual system error of charging your credit card the installation fee for the SXXXXX decoder.

The installation request was updated that the amount of AED XXX/- will be paid cash prior to the scheduled installation date the 27th January 2009. It was unfortunate that the same highlighted amount was charged by mistake on your credit card as previously stated due to an infrequent error.

Consequently, we have created a refund request for the same amount of AED XXX/- which will be processed later today by our finance department. The usual time frame required for the amount to be credited back into your account is 3 to 4 working days excluding the weekend gap.

Also as a sign of good will and gesture, SXXXXXX has credited your subscription account the amount of AED XXX/- worth of one free month viewing with respect to your subscription fees.

Mr. Mohamed, let me assure you that what happened in your case is not typical of SXXXXX’s level of customer service. We continue to be committed to providing you and all of our customers with the highest standards of service available within the region.

1 comment:

Roti Kacang Merah said...

salam bro.fudzail.

perhaps if you don't mind sharing the so-caled 'nasty' letter with zunar, kot boleh dijadikan template that we could send the letter around to for the kind of services we equally get here at home... ;-)