Monday, January 12, 2009

Satanic Verses - 20 years later

I have to admit, I read this haram book and other Salman's books. I read his books out of curiosity while on business trips abroad (while in Malaysia). This guy is talented with satanic help, I guess. Of course there is no way to give him a pardon for insulting the Prophet SAW.

I remember that one of my conversations with Yusuf Islam was on the book and its author. I do not want to disclose what was discussed. Yusuf has his own controversy on the issue.

On his personal spiritual website Yusuf wrote:
I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie; nor backed the Fatwa issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini--and still don’t. The book itself destroyed the harmony between peoples and created an unnecessary international crisis.
When asked about my opinion regarding blasphemy, I could not tell a lie and confirmed that--like both the
Torah and the Gospel--the Qur’an considers it, without repentance, as a capital offense. The Bible is full of similar harsh laws if you’re looking for them.[9] However, the application of such Biblical and Qur’anic injunctions is not to be outside of due process of law, in a place or land where such law is accepted and applied by the society as a whole... [10]


How one book ignited a culture war
It's 20 years since Iran's religious leader Ayatollah Khomeini pronounced a death sentence on Salman Rushdie for 'insulting' Islam with his novel The Satanic Verses. The repercussions were profound - and are still being felt. Andrew Anthony traces the course of the affair, from book-burnings and firebombings to the dramatic impact it had on freedom of expression in a multicultural society

1 comment:

Izudin Abqori said...

Salam kenal.

What a nice blog!

I just got here from AbuSaif's blog.
Just want to recommend you a nice article to read about Salman Rushdie here.
Salam.